Customising your home screen works differently on iPhone. If you have personalised your screen on other phones, you’ll know soon. But, it’s just Apple’s way of doing things. Though, you will start liking it after the first few tries.
So, here’s how to personalise widgets on your iPhone.
Personalise Widgets on iPhone home screen
iPhone does not allow widget customization by default, so you will need a third-party app called Widgetsmith. The free version comes with limited customization options. If it doesn’t satisfy you, you can try the paid version free for 7 days and then, if you like, you can pay $1.99 per month, or $19.99 manually. First, download Widgetsmith on your iPhone then follow;
1. Open Widgetsmith.
2. You are given three widget sizes to choose from. Tap the one you want.
3. Now tap on Default Widget.
4. Select the widget you want.
5. Now select the theme you like from tabs below. Explore variations until you find the best.
6. Now go back tapping the back button.
7. You’ll see how your widget will look. Tap on Save.
8. Now head back to your home screen. Press and hold the empty area of your screen and tap the ‘+’ plus sign on the top right.
10. Tap the Widgetsmith widget.
11. Select your personalized widget’s size. Tap Add Widget
12. Now to show your widget, long press on your added Widgetsmith widget, select Edit Widget, then tap Widget and choose your widget.
Customise App Icons
Modifying the app icons is more of a workaround, here’s the method:
1. Open Shortcuts app.
2. Tap the ‘+’ sign on the top right.
3. Tap the bottom search bar, and type Open App and select it from the list.
4. Now under scripting, tap on Choose.
5. Select the app you want to change the icon of.
6. Tap the three dots icon on the top right.
7. Select Add to Home Screen.
8. Under HOME SCREEN NAME AND ICON type the name to show under your app, or leave blank if you want no label beneath it.
10.To add the icon image, tap the icon(see below). Tap the location of your photo, then select your image. In my case, it’s in photos so I’ll Choose from photos
8. Tap on Add then Done, then Done again. Voila!
Visit your home screen and greet your new app icon. In my case, the
Now as you open this app, you’ll notice your new app doesn’t take you to the app directly. Instead, it takes your tap, to shortcuts app, then to your app. Don’t panic, this bug or interface is fixed in the iOS 14.3 update. So if you are seeing this, simply update your iOS.
So here you go, now repeat the steps for each icon you wish to change(yes, each) get the matching wallpaper, modify the widgets and let your home screen express you. There’s no end to your creativity. In my next post, I’ll share some inspiring designs that will blow your mind.