Do you ever find yourself wanting to watch a movie on your laptop while working on a paper at the same time? Or maybe you’re trying to keep an eye on a video chat while working on something else. Luckily, Macbooks have a built-in feature that allows you to do just that – Split View.
In this guide, we’ll go over how to split screen on a Macbook so that you can make the most of your screen real estate:
Here’s you go:
- Select the window you want in the Split View.
- Hover over the green expand icon in the upper left corner and select the position to which you want to tile it.
- After you do, you’ll see your opened apps that support Split View on the other side of the screen. Here, select the one you want.
Here’s another way you can split screen on Macbook:
- Maximize your first window by clicking the green icon on the top left
- Next, enter the mission control by dragging four fingers up your trackpad or pressing its icon on your keyboard.
- Now drag and drop your other window over to the first window to use both, side by side.
How to Use and Exit Split View
Switch the sides of the Windows
Drag your mouse to the top to view your window’s toolbar. Then hold it and drag it to the left or right side.
Replace a Window in Split View
Hover over the green icon on the top left of the window and select “Replace Tiled Window”. Then select your desired window.
Adjust Window’s area in Split View
You can also adjust how much space a window should take by dragging the bar between your two windows.
Exit Split view
To exit the Split View, hover over the divided windows and click on the grey expand arrows on the top left to put the windows back to the desktop.
If you are fan of snap to edges(like me) feature on Windows, that resizes your window just by draging it to the edge, you can check out the Rectangle app on Mac that allows you to the same with added functionalities that you can use to arrange your windows using keyboard shortcuts, or from your menu bar. Check it out here (App no. 2).
Splitting your screen on a Macbook can be a great way to increase your productivity by being able to work on multiple things at the same time. Now that you know how to do it, give it a try the next time you need to multitask!