Not long after the iOS 16 evolved from beta to a full release, its next developer beta is already out. The new features and changes gradually surfaced online since Apple didn’t mention them on the release notes.
In this post, you’ll find out most of them:
Battery percentage now for every iPhone
iOS 16.1 Beta 1 adds the battery percentage visual on the iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone XR, and iPhone 11.
Live Activities API
Live activities API is now available for Apple developers. Apple says:
Discover how you can build Live Activities for your apps using the new ActivityKit framework, now available in iOS 16.1 beta and Xcode 14.1 beta. Live Activities help people keep track of your app’s content with real-time updates. Your app’s Live Activities display on the Lock Screen and in Dynamic Island — a new design that introduces an intuitive, delightful way to experience iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.Apple
Live activities are more important now than when Apple first announced it at the WWDC. The Dynamic Island in the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro Max integrates brilliantly with it.
It gives a good view of your activities like ride-share, sports scores, navigation, etc.
Faster Homescreen and Lock Screen wallpaper changes
With the iOS 16.1 beta 1, you can change the Home Screen wallpaper when you long-press the Lock Screen for edits.
Clean Energy Charging
Now you can toggle the Clean Energy Charging in Settings > Battery.
Clean Energy Charging aims to reduce the carbon footprint by only charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available.
iOS 16.1 shows some options for Matter smart home accessories.
It is a cross-platform smart home standard with tech giants, including Apple and Google backing it up.
This feature is still in its early days, and Apple has some details in its release:
- To pair Matter accessories, a profile must first be installed on your device.
- Install the profile available at Developer Downloads.
- Removing Apple Home from the Matter accessory Connected Services menu in Home doesn’t remove the accessory tile.
- You might receive an alert to turn on Wi-Fi when pairing a Matter accessory.
- Adjusting the colour or temperature might result in an unexpected colour set on a Matter accessory.
- Additional details might not open if a Matter accessory is unreachable.
- You might be unable to pair a Matter accessory if the accessory is already paired to a third-party ecosystem.
- The device that initiates the pairing needs to use the same iCloud account as the home hub. Only the owner of a home, not an invited user, can pair Matter accessories.
Delete Wallet app
iOS 16.1 gives you the ability to delete the Wallet app. If you want, you can get it back from AppStore.
Music App Tweak
On the Music App in iOS 16.1, you can now see the icon of your connected device, which was just an AirPlay icon before the update.
Screenshot UI Tweak
iOS 16.1 tweaks the Screenshot editor’s menu.
Now when you tap the Done button, you’ll see a drop-down that you can use to Save to Photos, Save to Files, or Save to Quick Note.
Want to stay in the loop of Apple News, Guides and Tutorials?